Here are some facts you might not know:
- Over half of the global population or 4.2 billion people lack safe sanitation (WHO/UNICEF 2019)
- 2 in 5 schools around the world lacked basic handwashing facilities prior to the COVID-19 pandemic (WHO/UNICEF 2020)
- 40% – or three billion people – of the global population live without basic handwashing facilities with soap and water available at home (UNICEF 2020)
- Around 297,000 children under five die annually from diarrhoeal diseases due to poor hygiene, poor sanitation or unsafe drinking water. That’s over 800 children every day (WHO 2019)
- Hygiene promotion is the most cost-effective health intervention (World Bank 2016)
Now you might wonder what this has to do with us and the Insight into Apprenticeships programme. We in the UK are extremely fortunate that we have great infrastructure and people who work in this area that keeps our water and other services flowing 24/7. Just think when we were told to wash our hands more frequently we did not have to worry about finding water.
Many of these industries have great apprenticeships and opportunities for young people. These can range from engineering, construction, operations, business services, customer services and scientist and even to educators encouraging young people to think about the water we use.
On our programmes the students are lucky to get a look at some of these opportunities first hand. So, until we are able to visit again why not use some spare time to check out their websites to look at those opportunities including apprenticeships and work experience:
Happy World Toilet Day from your Insight into Apprenticeships team!